Flying high!

My alma mater won the NCAA Division II championship yesterday. Way to go, Bearcats! The score was 34-7 over Shepherd University of Shepherdsville, West Virginia.

Northwest has been a force to be reckoned with since winning its first national championship in 1998. I attended before there was such a title. In my time, the team rarely won and to make matters worse, women students were expected to wear skirts and stockings to the games. It gets cold in Maryville, Mo., during football season, especially at night.

I used to work in the Missouri Capitol and Northwest sends a group of student ambassadors to visit with legislators and staff for a day in the spring. I always made a point of visiting their booth since I was one of the few staff people in the building who was an alumna. In my attempt to be friendly with one of these students, I commented on how great it was that the Bearcats had won the national championship the preceding December.

He looked quite a bit like this fellow. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But his response to my banalities took me aback. "There's more to college than football," he snapped.

I committed a micro-aggression before it was cool. And congratulations again to the powerful Bearcats!