The Case of the Surplus Suitor

We didn't tune in until halfway through this Perry Mason episode. LohMan offered to stop our Netflix stream at 10:30 but I said this was another one that Perry (Raymond Burr) wasn't in, so I didn't much care. It featured Walter Pidgeon as the substitute attorney and Joyce Bulifant as the defendant.

Since the first half-hour of the show gives all the background, red herrings, victims, etc., I had no idea what was going on. The defendant appears to be out to lunch. In fact, in one scene she is shown eating her lunch while Mr. Pidgeon is counseling her. She is also being courted by at least two fellas. This is from the Livedash transcript.
Joyce: They're both so, well, impressive and sweet and polite. They even know what to say to head waiters.

Her uncle is concerned about her scatterbrained approach to life.
Uncle: I think perhaps it is time that we had a little discussion about your future.
Joyce: Oh, no, my future's calling for me in in just a minute and I'm supposed to be in a cocktail dress.

Here's a great response. File it away for future reference.
Person 1: What kind of a question is that?
Person 2: One I want answered.

Since Joyce had used Perry Mason as her attorney in a lawsuit against her uncle the year before, Della Street is called as a witness. She and Hamilton Burger trade a couple of barbs.
HB: Well, Miss Street, having you here as a witness is a rare experience.
DS: I’ll try not to be hostile, Mr. Burger.
HB: That’ll be a rare experience, too.

During the wrap-up, Mr. Hatfield (Walter Pidgeon) is explaining his methods to Joyce. How did he know who committed the murder?
Mr. Hatfield: I guessed. Perry Mason does it all the time.
Joyce: Does he?
DS: He does what Mr. Hatfield did. He puts all the facts in his head and then spins them around until he hits the lucky number.

"Perry Mason" seems firmly planted in the early 1960s to me. I was surprised to see Joyce Bulifant in it. I associate her with a couple of 70s shows. She played Murray Slaughter's wife on "Mary Tyler Moore." And sometimes she sat on Richard Dawson's right in "The Match Game."

When I looked her up on Internet Movie Database, I was amazed to learn that in real life, Joyce Bulifant has been married five times. Her first husband was James MacArthur (Danno on "Hawaii Five-O" and a teen heartthrob in Disney movies long before that). Her third husband was Elizabeth Montgomery's ex, William Asher. And her present husband is JoAnne Worley's ex, Roger Perry. I guess if you are in the acting business, your fellow professionals are your friends and acquaintances.