The Case of the Prudent Prosecutor

Tonight's Perry Mason episode made up for the lack of quotes from the previous episode. It had a rural setting and some of the characters used folksy lingo.

After listening to his client spin a few tales about the murder and events leading up to it, Mason says: "Now, dad blame it! Let's have the whole truth." And the murderer interrupts a woman's testimony by saying, "I killed him. I killed the big gas bag." A modern remake would have saltier language, I am sure.

Burger was a personal friend of the man accused of the murder and he asked Mason to defend his buddy. During the trial, Ham is in the gallery. When the special prosecutor objects to a Mason question as being incompetent, irrelevant and immaterial, Burger mutters under his breath, "Oh, sit down and be quiet." And the very last line in the episode is Burger chatting with Mason, "You know, I think I won this case."

My favorite line, however, was just a throwaway that startled me. The soon-to-be victim is a shady promoter, scamming some old gent out of money by promising to feature the man's young wife in an ice show. "Tropical Ice, I thought we'd call it. I'm going to make a quick trip down to Cuba to investigate the possibilities."

Those were the days. January 1960, to be exact.