"All my bags are packed. I'm ready to go."

 I sit in Dad's room doing a segment of the end-of-life vigil with him. I notice the small travel bag on top of the wardrobe. I don't know what it contains. Not much, I suppose.

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. (I Timothy 6:7)

He brought nothing with him when he was born that Thursday, the first day of December 99 years ago. And yet, when he drew that first breath, he went from having nothing to having everything -- parents who would provide loving support, steady guidance and an example worth following.


The little, blue zipper bag is a remnant from those years when Mother and Dad saw the world. They had their own bags. The last trip we took with them, they only brought one, however. I guess at that point, they knew what mattered.

Dad, I can't wake you up to say goodbye. But I can carry with me everything you left behind. A deep gratitude for your loving support, steady guidance and an example worth following.