Nancy drew me in.

A friend on Facebook noted that the first Nancy Drew book, The Secret of the Old Clock, appeared on April 28, 1930. The author was Carolyn Keene, which was the name given to all the women who would write these books over the years. The original Carolyn Keene was Mildred Wirt, who earned $125 per book. No royalties. Ever.

My sister got the first Nancy Drew and the next one, The Hidden Staircase, for Christmas in 1956 or 1957. I read them and was immediately hooked. Our friend, coincidentally named Carolyn, had a collection and I read all of hers, as well as all the ones at the public library.

I checked my newspapers.com subscription to see when Nancy Drew/Carolyn Keene first made the paper. From the selection of newspapers in the site, Mason City, Ioway's, Globe Gazette has a mention of The Secret of the Old Clock in the August 6, 1931, issue.


My favorite type of fiction to this day is crime fiction. Whodunnit? All the evidence points to Nancy Drew (and Mildred Wirt Benson).