Teach your children well.

My granddaughter and I were entertaining each other on the grounds while the rest of the family toured the interior of Mount Vernon. I'd been in the home before and GrandGirl II was too young to care. While we were strolling around, I watched a family pose itself for a group photo. They asked one passerby to snap the picture, making sure to get the house in the background, and she obliged. After she left, I could see that Dad wasn't happy with the results, so I offered to push the button.

Their aura left me with the strong impression that this was a homeschooling family. They were "dressed up" and the children were well behaved and kind to one another. I used to witness that sort of behavior when I worked at the state Capitol. Homeschooled students were invariably respectful and calm in the building. Public-school children raced around and generally caused pandemonium.

You hear people say that "developing social skills" is a big benefit of public schools. Learning how to be part of a pack is a more accurate description.

Is homeschooling for you? What's best for your children?