Don't you just hate that?

We just watched the last episode of "Inspector Morse" that is currently available to stream via Netflix. It's No. 15, "Masonic Mysteries." I found it really distressing because Morse's reputation is thoroughly smeared and too many of his police colleagues believe it. I was reading the viewer reviews on Internet Movie DataBase and this comment stood out:
Unintentional giggles come from the plot's dated use of early 90s computers. Uncomfortable to think that so many officers could've been so wide-eyed and ignorant about technology, apparently unable to comprehend the department's own computer system and what "hackers" are.
The computers weren't even early 1990s equipment, since this episode first aired January 24, 1990. "Late 1980s" would be more accurate. An awful lot of people in an awful lot of professions resisted computers for a long time.

I was working at a small-town newspaper in the late 1980s and I was not introduced to a PC until just about the time "Masonic Mysteries" aired. We had the blue CompuGraphic equipment before the Big Switch. It was a bewildering business for many weeks as I tried to teach myself how to "set type" with a PC. The one person who was useful to me was a police officer who had taught himself how to program.