Margaret Trabue Hodgen

I was trying to track down some remote kinsman in the LaRue-Hodgen line today. There was an article about someone with the Hodgen surname who had been picked up for larceny in Fresno in 1888. I don't know whether it is one of my line or not, as I couldn't get enough information to tell. But another Hodgen kept popping up in the California newspapers -- Dr. J.D. Hodgen and his daughter, Margaret.

J.D. was Joseph Dupuy Hodgen, a dentist, professor of dentistry at UC-Berkeley, author about books on dental techniques, etc. The "Dupuy" rang a bell so I checked and I already had him in the database. (Remote, remote, remote, but I am casting a wide net.)

Margaret seemed to be in the San Francisco newspapers often when she was a young lady so I checked to see what path she took in life. She earned a Ph.D. in economics and was a professor at UC-Berkeley until she refused to take a loyalty oath and was terminated. After that she did research and wrote extensively. One of her books intrigues me: Factory Work for Girls (1920). It's a free ebook via Google.

I found a tribute to her life that appeared after her death in 1977. There was something very touching in it:
Margaret Hodgen was a kind and gracious woman. She encouraged the young and the uncertain when they most needed encouragement, and she richly deserved the respect, admiration, and devotion of her students. She had a strong independent mind; she was firm in her convictions, clear and unequivocal in expressing them.
I have a friend who wants to be thought of as an "encourager." It is a worthwhile goal.