A sense of place

A cool thing to do when I find a street address in my genealogical research is to Google the address. It's interesting to get a feel for the neighborhoods where these kinfolk lived 80, 90, 100 years ago. I especially like the draft registration cards from World War I and World War II (the "old men" registration).

Here's a current look at a home occupied by someone of the Hodgen line in 1940.


A sister of the wife in this household was staying at the McAlpin Hotel in Manhattan in the 1940 census enumeration. She is listed as "guest," so I assume she was a tourist rather than a resident. Today the McAlpin is called Heritage Towers. It has been converted into apartments. 

My family was enumerated at a motel in the 1960 census. We were in the process of moving. I have no idea what the motel's name was but LohFather probably remembers. He's like that.