They knew him when.

Working my way through the LaRue-Carman line from Otis M. Mathers' book, I come to Mary Jane Helm, daughter of Rebecca LaRue and George Helm. Mather just gives her name and her husband's name in the entry, so I am left to my own devices to find out more about Mary Jane. She's not from my LaRue line but I am entering all the LaRues in their Family Tree, and I at least hope to find dates about most folks.

Mary Jane Helm married Patrick W. Tompkins, says Mr. Mathers. Patrick Watson Tompkins (1804-1853) was a Kentuckian by birth, served in the House of Representatives and went to the Gold Rush. This fits the time frame for Mary Jane Helms so I am speculating this Patrick W. Tompkins was her husband.

Patrick Tompkins was elected as a Whig to the 30th Congress, as was Abraham Lincoln. They both boarded with Mrs. Spriggs on Duff Green's Row. Apparently some of the wives came to Washington, D.C., too. This is a screenshot of a footnote from a .pdf manuscript by Michael Burlingame. See Chapter Eight.
Burlingame, A Life of Lincoln, Vol. 1, Chapter 8.



Poor Mrs. Tompkins. Long since forgotten. Practically.