Spritz fitz

Another December, another issue with Spritz. I cannot find a recipe that tastes like the one my mother used. I have notes in my cookbooks beside the Spritz recipes: Don't use again.

I tried a recipe attributed to Martha Stewart. You will notice that only one of the comments is from someone who actually tried the recipe. All the others go on about how cute and promising the cookies look. The one who made them had issues. So did I, although not the same ones she had.

The dough, which I processed as directed, was very dry and I had to knead it forever to get it to hold together. I could not get a single cookie to release from my cookie press and I tried repeatedly. So I ended up rolling half the dough and cutting it with cookie cutters. The rest I had already tinted green, planning to use the Christmas tree plate. I shaped that in balls and then flattened with a Rycraft cookie stamp that is wreath-like in design.


The cookies turned out fine. But now I have found photos of the 1957-58 booklet for the Mirro Cookie Press. I am going to try the Christmas Trees and also the Holly Wreaths. The Holly Wreaths use half of a 3-ounce package of cream cheese, of all things.