Done right

We visited a fairly remote rural cemetery today. I wanted to see -- for the first time -- the graves of my great-great-great-grandparents. The cemetery was on a hill, which is not what I expected. My ancestors' stone was easy enough to find (there was an accessible map of the plots, plus the stone was prominent and near the road). After I paid my respects, I looked around for unusual markers. I do that.


This stone is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen. The carving is exquisite and I would think it is as sharp as the day it was done. Dr. D.M. Creel died in 1902 and I assume the stone dates from that time. The names of his three wives are on the other sides. I saw a similar, smaller version a short distance away so I walked over to check it out.


I would think the same craftsman did this stone. John and Hetty McGaughey are buried here. Note in the lower left that this stone was "erected in 1892." Perhaps Dr. Creel admired the workmanship and wanted something similar for himself. Good taste, sir!