The Value of Putting Information on the Back of a Photo

I have been scanning family photos for about two months. Today I came upon one that surprised me. A couple of women in a B.Dalton Booksellers didn't strike me as unusual because one of my sisters was in management at a couple of Kansas City-area stores back in the '70s. I didn't recognize either woman so I turned the photo over. My sister had supplied the particulars. The woman at right is Sharon Barrett, manager of this particular branch. The woman in the center of the photo is author Anne McCaffrey.
The display is a part of the in-store promotion of Ms. McCaffrey's novel, The White Dragon. The dragon was done by another one of my sisters.
The Pern books are still in print. My sister is still drawing and painting. B. Dalton is defunct. I think that dragon is too.