"A marvelous teacher"

I dabble in genealogy. I spend quite a bit of time at it but I am not methodical. Today I am pursuing a sister of a great-grandmother, mostly because of her name. She had a lovely given name (Nora Elizabeth) and she married a fellow with a surname that is somewhat unusual (McDonough).

Just now, I came upon her second son, Eugene Stowell McDonough. He graduated from Marquette University in the late 1920s and got his Ph.D. from Iowa State College (now University). He returned to Marquette and taught in the Biology Department. Here is what one of his former students had to say about Dr. McDonough as a professor:
Dr. McDonough was a marvelous teacher, one of those sorts of persons whom you consciously try to emulate when you reach the point where you're teaching too. Because his lectures were spiced with a bit of humor, an awful lot of information, but presented in a way that wasn't conspicuously didactic nor sort of cold and impersonal feeling. He really interacted with his students. And he put most of us on to problems as early as he could in the course.
I never met Eugene McDonough or his parents (I've heard my dad mention Aunt Nora) or his siblings. But  it's cool to discover Cousin Eugene, who appeared to have made a difference in his time on Earth.