Lettie Mason Quine Hospital

My grandmother was a nurse and kept in close touch with her classmates over the years. One of these women, Grace Z. Lentz, served as a nurse missionary for a period of time and Grandma kept some correspondence from her friend. Miss Lentz served with Dr. Sophia Yang at Lettie Mason Quine Hospital in Chinkiang, China.
This is Grace Lentz with a Buddhist nun in 1930.

Here are the updates Grace sent to my grandmother.
1929 pamphlet about the hospital and its mission.



1930 report:

And a Christmas report from 1930:


From a hand-written letter dated January 19, 1931, I extract some observations that may be of interest.
"Up until Xmas we had perfectly wonderful weather, then a terrible blizzard struck us and we well nigh froze -- in fact many poor people did freeze to death. During the freeze, our plumbing proceeded to freeze. The pipes busted, and now that the weather has moderated again we are having one grand time mending leaky pipes. I have never seen a winter like this one in China. I do not know what to make of the warm pleasant days we are having now. Usually this time of year we are about to perish with the cold. I like the mild weather all right. I haven't had a cold all winter."

"We are not having the least bit of excitement in these parts. No war, bandits, or anything. I like that, too. Our work goes on as if there had never been a flurry like that of '27.

"I hear of the terrible financial depression from all sides. We are not having an easy time making ends meet. Gold coin (U.S. currency) is selling at such an enormous rate, it takes more than four Mexican dollars to buy 1 gold dollar. We use the Mexican dollar here, and I'll tell you, the high rate of exchange really puts imported goods out of our reach. We have enough to eat and and we are very grateful for that."