The Case of the Witless Witness

Dan, a prominent federal judge, wants to get the nomination for lieutenant governor of California. No matter what the state, this seems like a comedown to me.

Twenty years prior, when he'd been Prosecutor Dan, he was at a party, discussing the aftermath of a case involving procurement fraud. He'd pointed out to his fellow imbibers the ways the defrauders had gone wrong. Flash forward to the current days and his comments are being used as his declaration that he'd been in on the fraud. All his old circle has turned on him. Politics, doncha know.

Madge: The loner. The man who needed no one. Not me, not anybody. Dan, I’m not bitter, really.
No, she’s not bitter.
Madge: Gus Sawyer, the lobbyist -- you know, I've always been dying to ask you, dear -- how much of a payoff did he arrange for you?    

Gus Sawyer: Someday Gus Sawyer’s going to slide into hell on the melted grease.

That old gang of mine.
Judge Dan: Thank you, Quinn. You’ve made my day complete: a threatening blackmailer, an hysterical alcoholic, a vindictive woman, and now you bring this cheap panderer.
Gus: I bet they make you captain of the debating team up at federal prison.

Dan turns to Perry Mason to defend him when the threatening blackmailer is found murdered in Dan's chambers.
PM: Even the devil has his advocate. I assume your case is better than his.       

Judge’s opponent for the party’s nomination: Redmond, I’m going to ride the police on this until they’re saddle sore.

PM: I object on the ground that it assumes facts not in evidence.
HB: The witness is just about to put the facts into evidence.

ME: I found a blood-alcohol level of .34.
HB: Is that considered high?