The Case of the Velvet Claws

This is based on the Erle Stanley Gardner book that introduced Perry, Della and Paul. The novel came out in 1933.

The case against Perry’s client does not go to court in either the book or the TV episode. Instead, Perry gets the “real” murderer to confess. In both versions, the client is  unlikable – unless you are Perry Mason. Eva (played by Patricia Barry) plants one on him at the end of the show. I knew it was coming since I’d done my prelims (reading the posts at Perry Mason TV Series and Internet Movie DataBase), so I had my camera at hand. But the kiss didn’t last long enough to take a picture. Thus proving that old saying, “Take a picture – it’ll last longer.”

I just picked up my paperback to see how the kiss was handled in 1933. Wait just a darn minute. Erle has Perry kissing Della! She’d been angry at him throughout the book for even taking on Eva Belter as a client.
    There were tears in her eyes as her hands touched his shoulders.
    “Please,” she said, “I am so sorry.”
    He started at the sound of her voice, turned, and looked down into the moist eyes. For several seconds they looked at each other, saying nothing. Her hands clung to his shoulders frantically, as though she were clinging to something that was being pulled away from her grasp.
    “I should have known better, chief. I read the papers this morning, and felt so low that ...”
    His long arm circled her shoulders, and scooped her to him. His lips pressed down to hers.
    “Forget it, kid,” he said in gruff tenderness.

(Pocket Book edition, 1963, p. 190)

Eva Belter bursts into the office about then and continues to be unlikable.
    “You might,” she said in acid tones, “wipe the lipstick off her mouth.”
    Perry Mason stared steadily at her.
    “That lipstick,” he said, “can stay there. What is it you want?”
(p. 191)

And now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast, wherein I cite a few quotes that caught my attention.

Perry asks Paul to learn what he can about Spicy Bits, a scandal sheet that holds people hostage to their indiscretions. It turns a healthy profit by selling “advertising” to people in exchange for not printing stuff about them. The editor is Frank Locket .(He's Frank Locke in the book. I wonder why that was changed.)

PM: What about Locket? Does he really have a story on Burke?
PD: Locket wouldn’t admit he has a bellybutton.

Eva: Perry, Perry darling, come quickly. I need you.