The Case of the Shifty Shoe-Box

I believe we have reached the point in the Perry Mason cycle on MeTV where we first tuned in. I retired a year ago and the local channel added MeTV to their programming a few weeks later. The rerun of these reruns won't be a problem, though, because I generally fell asleep before the climactic courtroom scenes. About six months ago, I decided to start blogging a few quotes that amused me in an episode, which helped me pay attention better.

This program is the second one in Season Seven and first aired nearly 50 years ago! October 3, 1963, to be exact. The stars included Billy Mumy, Constance Ford, Denver Pyle, Ray Teal and Diane Ladd. Billy is a foster child who's joined Constance Ford's household by way of her brother. The brother, who has been tagged a malingerer by the VA, had his sister take little Miles under her wing and brother pockets the monthly $75 in "child support" that follows the child.

The plot revolves around a trucking partnership that is getting its accounts in order so that it can accept a buy-out offer. Constance Ford is bookkeeper at this branch, which is managed by a ladies man named Sheridan. There is a considerable amount of money missing from the accounts which doesn't worry one partner (we have insurance). And the other partner? He's the murder victim.

As a boy who's lived from pillar to post his whole life, Miles tries to fit in wherever he finds himself but it's not easy.
Older boy: Kid, why do you always act so people want to hit you?

Perry is attorney for the worried partner/soon-to-be victim. He goes to Constance Ford's house to talk to her about the accounts. Miles answers the door and Perry asks to speak to his mother.
Miles: She’s not my mother, she’s not even my real aunt. I don’t even have to live here if I don’t want to.
PM: Where is your mother?
Miles: I don’t know but I’ve got four of them someplace. I really do.

HB: Your Honor, the state is not charging the defendant with robbery. Only with murder.

Sheridan: I couldn’t juggle an expense account any more than I could juggle an elephant.