The Case of the Angry Astronaut

Another Perry Mason built around the space industry. The 1960s were heady times for that! I enjoyed hearing the names Shepard, Grissom and Glenn, along with Mercury.

Gen. Brand: Shepard and Grissom have penetrated space. Colonel Glenn has successfully orbited the Earth three times.

One odd thing about the show was that the defendant had been released from the Mercury program and was a grounded astronaut in private industry. At that point in time, Robert Bray seemed too old to be an astronaut, even for testing purposes.

Paul Drake meets the defendant first. Mitch Heller hires Paul to do search for some missing schematics for an invention of his. Then Mitch, who appears to be mentally unstable, is arrested for murder.

PD: I think Mitch Heller is off his rocker. I think he's guilty as sin. But I've seen his war record as a pilot in Korea. I know what decorations he won and how he won them, and I know him. I like him. Perry, he deserves the best. Yes, I promised I'd ask you to help him.

During the trial, D.A. Burger asks this unusual question.
HB: I asked you as a trained psychologist fully aware of the meaning of the word “hate,” did Mitchell Heller hate General Addison Brand?
Psych: Yes.

The Penguin Dictionary of Psychology definition of "hate" can be found in this Wikipedia entry.