The Case of the Ancient Romeo

An untried actress is cast as Juliet by an acting company because her audition included $12,000 in badly needed cash. Franz Lachman established said acting company years ago and yes, he is long in the tooth to be playing Romeo. Ancient, even. Actor Jeff Morrow was about 40 years older than the Shakespearean Romeo.

Harry von Zell is in this episode of Perry Mason. His character is not a nice guy. You get the impression the acting-company business is not a nice business.

Harry von Zell: The Lachman Company is on its last legs and they’re about to give out.

HVZ: With you playing Juliet and Franz doing Romeo, the rest of the company will be playing musical chairs for leftover crumbs. And they’re not going to like it – or you.

At the premier, Della tells Perry that the Juliet actress is not too good.
DS: Did we have to come?
Perry explains that Steve Brock is the brother of a Navy buddy and he needs to consult with PM about something after the performance. So Della didn't have to come but Della and Perry are a "we" after office hours, I guess.

During the sword fight between Paris (Steve) and Romeo (Franz), Paris is het up about some accusations of impropriety made by Romeo. The fight gets intense.
DS: Perry, I don’t care what Shakespeare wrote. Right now my money’s on your friend Steve.
Steve explains his motivation to Perry later.
Steve: I wanted to give him a bad time for a few minutes. When his sword hit my face, I lost my head.
           
No Tragg tonight. It’s Sgt. Andy Anderson.
Andy: You know we’re always glad to cooperate with you, Perry. Anything we can do to help a struggling attorney.       

HVZ: So he was big enough to enjoy playing with girls without getting called a sissy.

Paul takes a bank employee out for drinks, trying to pump her for information.
PD: But Helen, I’m such a, such an old customer.
Helen: Not old, Paul. Longtime but certainly not old.

Killer: He fed my hatred with his scorn. ... I’d do it again. A thousand times, you hear? I’d  kill him again a thousand times.
A nasty business.