The Case of the Renegade Refugee

What we have here is a journalist who is hunting a former Nazi at the space industry in Los Angeles. World War II had ended 16 years prior to the time this Perry Mason episode aired. Not long enough, when it comes to Nazis, however.

The defendant-to-be plans to escape the heat by fleeing the country.
Shady Guy who sells documents: In the birth of new citizens of the world, I am an expert midwife.

PM to his client: Why are you being blackmailed? Who are you?
Client: In the Battle of the Bulge my outfit was run over. ... I panicked and deserted my men and left them there to die. ... When I came to, my dog tags had been clipped and I was laying there in a field of dead men. And I was marked the same as the rest of them.

Ethics personified.
PM: As your counsel, I regard every bit of evidence no matter how devastating in light of the assumption that you are not guilty and will never be guilty until the verdict of a jury can be affirmed by the highest appellate court to which your case can be taken.
Noted and appreciated.

Early in the trial we get a glimpse of spectators. Is Denver Pyle wearing pince-nez? Confirmed, when he takes the stand.


The men under investigation for Nazi ties have gathered at Serra Retreat in Malibu. The murder of the journalist takes place on the grounds.
Priest at Franciscan Retreat: We deal with men here on a confidential basis, Mr. Mason. Don’t pry, please.
The retreat in the program has been in operation since World War II, actually. It is located on a part of "Malibu Ranch," a vast property once owned by Frederick and May Rindge. It's an interesting story.

Perry asks a witness if she is married. No, she's widowed and using her maiden name. Dating? No. What about -- and Perry cites chapter and verse where she was seen with this fellow. Oh, all right! I am seeing someone.
Witness: We plan to be married.
PM: That’s very interesting. May I ask what you plan to do with the wife and two children ___ (spoiler) now has in Virginia? In discussing your marriage plans that little fact apparently slipped his mind.

Confessor: I figured when I threw him over the cliff into the road that everybody would think it was an accident. (Getting rattled now.)  Everybody should have thought it was an accident!