The Case of the Pathetic Patient

An ambitious doctor is visited by a man who’d been his patient the previous year. The patient says the doctor missed seeing a fracture when he read the X-ray of his hip. He vows to sue for malpractice unless the doctor gives him $5,000 within the next 24 hours. Doc goes to see Perry Mason for advice (which is good because he's soon going to be on trial for the murder of his wife's old flame).

PM: This doesn’t give us much time.
PD: It’ll be enough.
Next scene, Paul and the hip patient are having a beer together.
PD: Suppose this whole business was nothing more than the old disappearing X-ray stunt. ...
By tomorrow morning I’ll have the dope on every broken hip that ever collected five cents.


Witness: Get ahold of a man’s pants leg, you don’t let go. All right, I’m a fraud.   

And I was like someday this will be the way everyone talks.
Confessor: I went to see him down at the laboratory. And it was already like night.

Perry hauls out a long quote about old crimes and new variations. I didn’t tune in mentally soon enough to commit it to memory, but Paul was listening.
PD: That figures. I always liked the old temptations best.