No good deed goes unpunished.

I've been doing some painting since I retired. Mostly just the drudge work, except for my barn quilts. For many years the kitchen was the only room I'd painted, although the whole house really needed it when we moved in 10 years ago.

Ten days ago I decided the kitchen cupboards could use some sprucing up. I'd saved the paint chip that had the wall paint color (about the shade of Coke bottle glass). I did accent painting with the bottom color on the chip and gave the doors a fresh coat of white. I complicated the project, naturally, by deciding the hardware needed to go.

At any rate the work got done and I took some pictures to put on Facebook. Looking at the pictures in the viewer brought it home to me. The countertop color looks really bad now. I don't know how far I can test LohMan's good will by the subject of new countertop. There are only two short sections (my chief work surface is a stainless steel table) but one section cozies up to a chimney.

One of my first projects when I retired in January was to put new liner on the shelves and I'd considered the countertop then. What about contact paper? I bought some and then talked myself out of that. It isn't durable and there would be seams. But I think I'll put it on and take my pictures. It will be good enough for its photo opp.

Rustoleum makes a countertop paint, which looks beautiful on the website. What do real users think? Here's an education on a lovely blog. The good news is that her solution for fixing her disaster was creating a chalk paint.

I'd never heard of chalk paint. But it could be just what I need for the bathroom ceiling. Once the bathrooms are painted, I can retire.

UPDATE: Or there's the faux-tin tile ceiling which was part of a ginormous kitchen re-do blogged about here.

UPDATE 2: The contact paper was a white/black marble pattern and would have looked good if I could have applied it successfully. After three bad starts, I gave it up.