The Case of the Singing Skirt

This was a complicated episode but I stayed awake for the whole thing, which helps. The victim's body had two bullets in it. Perry and the medical examiner have a rather heated exchange about which bullet caused the death. The ME said both bullets were fatal.
PM: You mean it's possible for a person to die twice? (Zinger!)
ME: I mean either one of those bullets could have killed [the deceased] and I’m not sure which one it was.

Later Hamilton Burger brings the LAPD ballistics expert back to state that the bullets were fired from different guns. It's revealed that one of the guns actually belonged to another client of Perry's, that the second gun had been in the PM office safe for six months and things look bad for Mr. Mason.
HB: This is a familiar trick of Mr. Mason's. He's trying to get us so tangled up in immaterial guns.
Judge: I'll watch my step, Mr. Burger.

And my favorite character, Paul Drake, got to deliver a good line in perfect fashion.
PM: Do you know Section 330 of the penal code?
PD: Huh?

I looked up the section and it's as Perry said. It was about draw poker being legal in certain situations. But not stud poker, which was the form being played. There's a lot to know if you're going to be a lawyer (or a writer for a show about the law). Or perhaps some case about poker had been in the news in Los Angeles in the late 1950s and the distinctions triggered the script.

There's a database website for Perry Mason. Among other aspects, the pages talk about the familiar but unnamed people who play the spectators and about the cars. I am into the quotable quotes, of course. I also like seeing people before they became famous. And then there's the occasional bizarre moment.


This is a double exposure that happened when my flash didn't go off until the woman had moved. I wanted a picture of her hat. I took another that is normal but somehow this seems fitting. The actress is Allison Hayes. The hat is Huh? A high-quality picture of Allison's hat is in the PM database linked above.