Cowardly new world

Harry Truman would write his scathing letters and then not mail them. In the world of instant publication gratification, people do this sort of thing:
The world today brings news that Jan Berenstain, co-author with her husband Stan of the 45 years and running Berenstain Bears series for children, has passed on to a better world. As any right-thinking mother will agree, good riddance.
Later preceded by this post:
UPDATE, Feb. 28, 2012: I have been roundly (and deservedly) chastised in e-mails and elsewhere by Slate readers for my use of “good riddance” in connection with this kind woman’s death. I admit, I was not really thinking of her as a person with actual feelings and a family, just an abstraction who happened to write these books. Apologies. Next time I will be more humane. --Hanna
As far as the Truman example goes, a quarter-century after his death someone else publishes the letters.