"What size and what sex?"

I happened upon a picture of nine siblings in a newspaper from 1933 (go here and scoot the page to the left). It is said that the Watsons appeared in over a thousand movies as child actors. Some stayed in show business as adults. I actually remember Bobs Watson from a TV show we used to watch ("Hot off the Wire," a short-lived Jim Backus/Nita Talbot series about newspapers). I think I remember him because his first name was so odd.

The father of the brood was J.C. "Coy" Watson. According to his trivia folder on Internet Movie Database, when a studio called to say a child actor was needed, he'd say, "What size and what sex?"

The Watson family was also deeply interested in photography. As I scroll through old newspapers doing research, random articles or photos will catch my eye and I try to learn how things came out. Were the Watsons just a passing fancy during the Depression? Nope. They have made important contributions to the film industry, to the war effort, to ministry, etc.