How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm?

My grandfather served in The Great War, the war that inspired Armistice Day, now known as Veterans Day. He was from a small town in a rural Illinois county, the same county to which he returned after serving, where he lived, worked, raised a family and died. I never had the impression that he regretted not seeing more of the world. I do know that he was proud of his service with the Big Red One under the command of Black Jack Pershing. I can hear him say those words.

The 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month. When things begin to return to normal for a lot of doughboys. And when the seeds for my father's war are sown.


(To read other posts and see other photos about WWI, click on the World War I label below. I see I used the post heading once before. A tradition!)