And then what happened?

Some of the work I do involves scanning through old newspapers and occasionally something other than what I am seeking catches my eye. "Twin boys disappear." Were they found? I do a google search to try to learn how that episode turned out.

Today I looked at the "Artwork of the Day" from the Metropolitan Museum site. It's a photo by Walker Evans that was part of a Fortune magazine assignment in 1936. How did life turn out for the three sharecropper families Evans and writer James Agee covered? A follow-up book was written and photographed in 1989. The magazine article was never published, so Evans and Agee put their work in a book five years later, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

Fortune did assign a writer to go to Hale county, Alabama in 2005 and do a piece. Some type of closure, I suppose. I appreciated the opportunity to read it.