Hallowinner

My sister suggested I try this recipe, which I did. But I ended up retyping the recipe in a way that made better sense to me.

The immediate problem I had was that it doesn't tell you right off: Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. I have six 10-inch round pans (not that there's anything wrong with that). Do I have three 9-inchers? I have the two I use and the two Revereware pans that look nice but the one time I tried them I wasn't happy with the results. So that's four pans but the ones I like fit easily inside the Revereware pans, so obviously they are not using the same ruler. Wait -- I have that 9-inch springform pan. It was closest in diameter to the Revereware pans, so those are my three pans. Already this has taken 10 minutes off the 20-minute preparation time.

The middle layer is to be chocolate (which explains why there's only ¼ cup of cocoa listed in the ingredients. You can't tell that from the picture with the recipe either. So I actually sat down and typed the recipe in a format that I liked, printed it and then went back to work.

This is a delicious cake. There is plenty of frosting (I threw some of it away). The chocolate glaze adds nothing to the cake and when I make it again, I will skip that step. I didn't decorate with candy corn either. I have the candy corn (it is Halloween, after all), but I thought the pieces would slide off because of that glaze.

The cake texture is really nice. It's kind of cool to click on the picture and then click again to get an idea of the texture.