"All my girls are virtuosos ..."

Says bandleader Sweet Sue in Some Like It Hot ("and I mean to keep it that way."). Jack Lemmon certainly turned in a virtuoso performance as "Daphne," the bull fiddler. An eyewitness to the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, he was on the run from the Mob. He and his buddy, Tony Curtis, joined an all-girl band which had a gig in Florida.

Lemmon just lost himself in the part. After a while he didn't even girl-ify his voice. He didn't have to.

I see he was nominated for an Academy Award as best actor. Why didn't he win? Tough year. Contenders: Charlton Heston (Ben-Hur), James Stewart (Anatomy of a Murder), Paul Muni (The Last Angry Man), Laurence Harvey (Room at the Top).  I haven't seen the last two movies. But I think I'm within my rights in calling for a recount.



Nobody's perfect? Jack Lemmon was.