Get your kicks at the start of Route 66

James Lileks of the Minneapolis Star Tribune is a scanner without peer. His personal website is the Way to Start a Day, as far as I am concerned. Today he mentioned an addition to his section on the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, "A Century of Progress." He had access to a scrapbook kept by Edith Mary Sanderson of Bigelow, Minnesota, and has begun to post its contents. Mrs. Sanderson annotated her family's picnic lunches and tours and includes receipts when available. You Are There!


My dad actually was. I have his collection of pamphlets, etc., from that adventure. And there are a few snapshots his Aunt Ethel took of him. That's him behind those Foster Grants, sporting a souvenir cane.

UPDATE: I read Lileks first thing and the next day I check for comments from the preceding post. Edith Mary Sanderson was the daughter. Her name is the one inked in on the scrapbook cover. But I am sure the annotator was her mother, since Edith Mary was only 10 at the time and the narrative style is that of a mother -- the keeper of the purse (and receipts) and the packer of the picnic lunches. You have to read down a ways in the Comments to get to the sort of "research" I enjoy, the post where someone shares that Edith was born in 1923, has never married, and was a nutritionist/dietitian.