Only connect

My grandmother saved photos, although she didn't display many. I am in the process of assuming guardianship of those pictures and it's interesting to claim them.

This photo was probably taken in the 1890s, perhaps as part of a golden wedding anniversary. I have decided these people are siblings. My grandmother had penciled in "Grandma" on the back and some child did a lot of penmanship practice to fill up the rest of the space. We have "Grandma, Aunt Matt, Aunt Lerra, Uncle George and Uncle Pom" along with names of another branch of the family. Thanks to Internet resources, I am confident that these people are: Thomas, Sarah, George, Martha (Mattie) and Harriet Thrush (my grandmother's grandmother).


I've been tracking their progress in life as best I can. Sarah was one of the founders of the Quincy, Illinois, chapter of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (read her lips in the photo). George Thrush frequently had his name in the paper in Quincy for his civic efforts. He was a Union soldier during the Civil War, as were his father and his big brother, John. John Thrush was killed by guerrillas at Columbia, Tennessee, on September 10, 1862.

I'm grateful to the Quincy Public Library for its newspaper archives.