All in the family

This is a gathering of kith and kin of John and Laura Hudiburgh Lucas near Rogers, Arkansas, in August 1922.

I can identify a few of the people. My dad is the babe on his mother's knee and his dad is to their right. Part of Aunt Ethel's head is showing there on the left of the photo (the fellow with the dark hair blocks her view) and Aunt Mabel has her usual impish grin. I suppose that's Aunt Ruby sitting back-to-back with Sam Elliott.

Who is that Elder with his hat on his knee? Who is the John Wayne lookalike? Pere John Lucas had been dead for several years so he is not in the picture. At first I thought the woman in the chair was Laura but I have a four-generation snapshot taken during that same vacation and this is not that woman.

I am really pleased to have come into possession of this photo.