Memory bank, February 12-13

Abraham Lincoln overnighted in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 12-13, 1861, en route to Washington, D.C., for his inauguration. This was his third and final visit to the city. You can follow the route yourself if you are looking for a Lincolnophile vacation. A theme vacation seems like a fun idea, doesn't it?

The Lincoln Log website aims to track everything The Man did every day of his life. That sort of project seems just made for the Internet.

Did he make a speech every time the train stopped? Here's what he said at London, Ohio, on February 13, 1861:
Fellow citizens, I do not appear before you to make a speech, and have not strength nor time to do so. If I were to undertake to make a speech at every station, I should be completely tuckered out (not Mr. L's term, but its equivalent) before I reached the capital.
I perceive a band of music present, and while the iron horse stops to water himself, I would prefer they should discourse in their more eloquent music than I am capable of.
 Would that more presidents were so personable. But then he was one of a kind. Accept no imitations.