There's a right way and there's your way

Even if I'm probably never going to say the name aloud, I like to know how a name is pronounced when I read it. One time I called the publisher of Janette Oke's books to find out how her last name was said. So many of the patrons of the library where I worked pronounced it Oakie, as in Jack. The lady in Minneapolis was amused and said it was Oak.

Another time I emailed Max Lucado's website to get that pronunciation. I got a response right away but I've long since forgotten it. That's where the auditory experience trumps the written one. If I'd telephoned, I'd have had a conversation that I could recall. On the other hand, I just googled "pronounce Lucado" and here it shows up as "the most frequently asked question" of Max Lucado. Short answer: Long A.

I've found the Library of Congress sayhow website helpful. It's all diacritical all the time. I just came upon Inogolo (in OH go lo) today. It's phonetic and also audio.

First day of school, teacher gets to my name in the Roll Call. Long pause. Last name looks like it's going somewhere it isn't. First name is 100 years out of date. I don't remember if I ever got up the nerve to just say "Here." Mostly I just waited for the embarrassment that came with the slaughter.

When I was searching a couple of websites giving helpful advice on how to say that name, I typed in my maiden name. One said, "Nothing found." The other said it WRONG, just like nearly every teacher I ever had.

Just call and ask.