Memory bank, January 28

I look at Wikipedia and other resources, picking what interests me for the factoid of the day. The oldest historical events are invariably battles or big-ticket events with precise dates. Sometimes I pick an event and go looking for some interesting website to link and there is a discrepancy (like Humphrey Bogart's birthday).

On January 28, 1754, Horace Walpole coined the word serendipity. Which puts me in mind of The Serendipity Singers. They sang folk music during that short little craze in the early 1960s. "Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)" is the only song I associate with them. (We were New Christy Minstrels fans -- couldn't do both.)

You really should watch this performance from "Hootenanny," a weekly TV show that featured commercially viable folk music (just watched a Pete Seeger documentary). I think that is Jack Linkletter emceeing. It almost looks like there's a dress code for Dartmouth (or for "Hootenanny").