Death and Desiree

I just mentioned Jean Simmons a few days ago, talking about the movie Desiree. She had the title role, which was as mistress to Napoleon (Brando) and then as wife to Bernadotte, King of Sweden (the delectable Michael Rennie). She died yesterday, a week before her 81st birthday.

Looking over her filmography, I notice she did a lot of television. I associate her with Big Screen Glamour. I think I'll mostly remember her for Angel Face, a film noir with Robert Mitchum. Bad to the bone. I remember her character was said to be 20 years old and I said to LohMan, "Twenty? More like thirty!" I looked it up and she was 23 at the time. My idea of what a 20-year-old looks like has changed with time.

"You can be so sweet at times." The whole movie is on youtube if you want to watch it that way.