Camaraderie

Seven or eight years ago, the office where I work started doing a Christmas gift exchange. You drew a name and bought that person an inexpensive gift. I got the name of a colleague I didn't know very well. I don't know what possessed me but I bought that person a bright red sweater at Goodwill. It was an Izod -- in nice shape, cost $3 (within the $5 limit) -- and I washed it and everything. Mainly I wanted it because it was red, so I dealt with the embroidery (the name of some country club, along with a squirrel) by pinning on a sprig of silk holly.

Unfortunately I never saw the recipient actually wear the sweater but the next year it showed up at the Christmas party. It has since become a traveling gift and each year the lucky recipient is challenged with embellishing the sweater somehow for the next year.

I included a picture of the front of the sweater in my "Christmas Decorations" album at right. The 2009 addition is a tree design in buttons across the back, painstakingly applied by last year's winner.