I drive by her home

I don't pass all that many houses on my daily commute to work. For the past several years, I've lived in a rural area which is more a beautiful place to be than it is my "home." My children are adults and we have no connection with the school system. For that matter, there isn't even a school building in our town except an old structure that is used as a community center.

Depending on when I leave home, I see kids waiting for the school bus. The worst thing happened to one of the children whose home I drive by. On Wednesday, October 21, Elizabeth Olten, 9, failed to come home when she was expected. She'd been playing with a friend who lived a quarter-mile away. Her mother called the police (or sheriff) and a huge contingent of professionals and volunteers began combing the woods and hills near the Olten home. Two days after the little girl disappeared, a 15-year-old led the police to Elizabeth's well-concealed body. That teen, who was acquainted with Elizabeth, has been taken in custody and will be charged in the child's death.

Elizabeth Olten's disappearance (and, as it turned out, death) occurred on the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling of St. Joseph, Minn. Jacob, 11, was with his younger brother and another boy when a masked gunman stopped the three youths and then kidnapped Jacob. No trace of Jacob has ever been found.

Even in a beautiful area in the fall of the year, the world can look like an ugly place. At any rate, some people who are taking up space on this planet can sure be ugly.