We are gathered together

For another school assembly.

I am trying to remember if I ever experienced a school assembly that was much more than a temporary diversion from the classroom routine. There was that guy who had an octopus in a five-gallon bucket. That was pretty gross. There were a couple of all-school assemblies that featured magicians and those were entertaining. There was that film in high school about the guy who was paralyzed when he was thrown out of the convertible his friend was (recklessly) driving. That had an impact.

Other than that film, I don't think I've been particularly inspired or motivated by an assembly. Remember the message brought to your by your commencement speaker? Me neither. I remember my high school baccalaureate for one reason alone: the preacher was the father of a member of the graduating class. I didn't know the man's son except by sight (big class) but I felt vaguely embarrassed for the guy for having such a dull father.

I've attended events where I was moved or challenged by the speaker but I attended those events because I wanted to. Which is not to say that school assemblies are pointless. The process of moving the entire student body to one location is cool and you might get to sit by a friend. And you're hardly ever graded or tested on what is presented. Assemblies are akin to a "get out of jail free" card.