"Autobiography is only to be trusted when it reveals something disgraceful."

From the opening of "Notes on Dali," an essay by George Orwell.
A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats.
Orwell makes some interesting points about Salvador Dali and summarizes a few of the tales the 38-year-old artist shared in his 1942 autobiography, which Orwell calls "flagrantly dishonest" and thus, unintentionally, a "true picture."
One ought to be able to hold in one’s head simultaneously the two facts that Dali is a good draughtsman and a disgusting human being.
Someone referred to this essay yesterday, in a discussion about Roman Polanski. I can't find the post or comment that led me to the piece, however. The Internet offers you to the most amazing stuff, which you can lose as quickly as you find it. Easy come, easy go.

Salvador Dali. When I think about him, two things come to mind:
1. That mustache.
2. His appearances on TV quiz shows.
I am a Philistine, which will be readily apparent when my autobiography is published. Trust me.