Uncommon crime

I used to notice some weird news in the Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader. Like the time a woman was in a room alone in a motel, lying on the bed. She was shot in the stomach when a gun was fired in the room either above or below hers, I forget which. The shooting was an accident (well, hitting her was an accident anyway).

A former member of the Missouri General Assembly was murdered at his Springfield home two years ago. Rolland Lee Comstock was a well-known book collector and had an enormous personal library. His killer is still at large.

I am interested in uncommon things that are connected with former members of the General Assembly. I like it better when these uncommon things are not crime, of course.

I've been a mystery reader all my life but I am not a devotee of the 364.1 section in the library, "true crime." I don't know if any books have been written about crimes in Southwest Missouri, but there is a blogger on the beat. She writes The Crime Scene.