Feeling guilty

But deleting stuff anyway.

I've been a fan of Neil Diamond for decades. I have some of his music on my MP3 player and lately I've been deleting numbers that I don't want to hear anymore. Like, "Forever in Blue Jeans," "Desiree," "Longfellow Serenade," and that ilk. Actually except for "(Coming to) America," I realize that I could care less about any of his work since the 1970s.

This makes me feel bad. I know I'd enjoy the stuff if I were to ever hear him in person again but the recordings are just pretentious. I couldn't put my finger on why I find his "adult" work embarrassing but today I read a comment on Ann Althouse's blog. She'd noted that composer-producer Ellie Greenwich had just died. And Ellie Greenwich would be who? The woman who discovered Neil Diamond and produced the music on which he built his reputation. As commenter Beth says,
What a collection of work, including Neil Diamond songs before he became a schmaltz peddler.
I like box sets that show the scope of a musician's efforts. I have several, including the Rick Nelson "Legacy." He was a singer who struggled after having enormous success. The CDs track his career chronologically and his voice is different -- much rougher -- on the fourth disc. But he seemed to be growing and challenging himself. I enjoy "Doll Hospital" every bit as much as "Hello Mary Lou."

But the Neil Diamond stuff. There's Disc One and "(Coming to) America." And a lot of the rest is schmaltz. Dang. Sorry, too, about Ellie Greenwich. She was a leader of the pack.