Words and music -- and that's not the half of it

The 3-CD box set "King of the Road : the Genius of Roger Miller" contains 70 songs written and/or performed by Roger Miller (1936-92). Like everyone else, he was one of a kind. But he was One of a Kind. You listen to his lyrics and realize that just about anything we say can be a song, if we have music in us.

"Jason Fleming, chasin' women."
"Atta boy -- girl."
"Kansas City Star, that's what I are."
"Trailers for sale or rent."

There are a couple of session pieces included in the compilation, where he's composing, taking an idea and strumming with it. Just snatches of banter. One of these segments came up the other morning while I was walking and I about stopped in my tracks when I heard this: "Your lips keep seeking new lips and your arms keep changing hands." He said what? "Your arms keep changing hands."

What would make a fellow come up with a line like that? I couldn't help but think of it when I read this news story.