John D. MacDonald

I read mysteries. I prefer police procedurals, especially the British variety. But I like American writers, too, if they are gritty.

I started reading John D. MacDonald in 1970. I was living on my own, launching my career and exploring the W.T. Grant store in St. Charles, Mo. I picked up a copy of The Quick Red Fox from the book rack. It features Travis McGee, MacDonald's famous protagonist. I've read most of the McGee books but my favorite John D. books turned out to be the Gold Medal pulps he wrote when he was getting started.

They're short books that don't have continuing characters. They frequently involve white-collar crime and the hero is often a veteran with a college education who finds himself dealing with some ugly situations.

Cry Hard Cry Fast
is wrapped around a six-car pileup on a Florida highway. MacDonald uses six chapters to supply the back story for all the drivers and passengers. I haven't re-read the book in several years but the Will Rogers Turnpike accident made me think of MacDonald again.

Time to dig into my stockpile of his "good old stuff." He was a gifted writer and wonderful craftsman.