Takes all types

I visited with members of another RAAM team today, this time the eight-man Type 2 team. All members of the team have Type 2 diabetes. Their support squadron had a portable shower and a grill set up on the sidewalk to the left of the fountain in the picture.

The ride is continuous, with a biker pedaling six miles before being passing the baton, so to speak. One of the crew members I chatted with said they'd enjoyed the rollers on U.S. 54 before entering Jeff City. Rollers? The rolling hills.

Her driving partner commented that Jeff City was also one of the coolest places they'd seen so far. I asked how many capitals they'd passed through. "Oh, it's not that," he said. "It's the town itself." I told him I enjoyed the town, too, even though I don't live there. I like to look at the river every morning, just for a peace-of-mind check.

As we talked, one of the Type 2 bikers went by. I had my camera but it wasn't turned on. I hadn't seen any bikers on bikes all week and didn't expect to this morning. I just made it under the wire. Click on the picture to see more than just a yellow speck.


It's been a lot of fun being on the fringes of the Race Across America activity and talking with participants and supporters. The woman I talked to this morning was participating in RAAM for the first time and she is eager to do it again. Why not? You'd see the breadth of the nation on a schedule and be promoting good causes at the same time.