A day like no other

I have never watched "The Longest Day," but we recently Netflixed "Ike: Countdown to D-Day." It portrays the planning of the Allied invasion, rather than the invasion. When I blogged about watching that movie, I mentioned the interaction of General Eisenhower with the 101st Airborne on June 5, 1944. Here's a good photo. I also like the two pictures here, along with the buck-stopping plans that Ike made.

If you visit the new search engine Bing on D-Day, 2009, there's a lot to see and do there. It's certainly a more interesting page today than Google's, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Tetris and which is the most annoying Google commemorative logo I've ever tried to ignore.

There is a World War II museum in New Orleans if you are looking for an adventure with family members of the greatest generation. Historically D-Day will last forever but your own connection to it won't.