The new breed

Immediately on completing my Ph.D. degree, I did research for more than 8 years, with almost no interruption for teaching. I'm glad it happened that way. If I had taught the same course as much as three times in succession, using the available texts and my graduate notes and all the rest of what I thought I knew, I would surely have come to believe those things myself so firmly that the errors among them could scarcely have been corrected by any amount of subsequent experience.
-- Dr. Jay Laurence Lush.

Jay Lush looked an animal breeding in a new way. Instead of choosing stock by appearance, he pioneered the use of mathematics and genetics in livestock breeding. He was presented the National Medal of Science by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1969.

Dr. Lush also married well.