"My dad knows everything there is to know about garbage."

One of Dom DeLuise's sons said that about him last year and David's quote appears in the lengthy obituary of Dominick DeLuise, who died May 4, 2009, at age 75. The son of a garbage collector, I guess the urge to salvage was part of his nature.

I don't know what sort of box-office the Mel Brooks film "The Twelve Chairs" did back in 1970, although I was one of the paying customers. That's the movie I forever associate with Dom DeLuise. As the opening credits roll, the audience hears:
Hope for the best, expect the worst.
The world's a stage; we're unrehearsed.
Some reach the top, Friend, while others flop, Friend.
Hope for the best, expect the worst.
The last time I "saw" Dom DeLuise was in an introduction to a DVD collection of "Mr. Peepers," an old TV series starring Wally Cox. Dom and Wally were friends, which isn't hard to believe. A couple of nice guys. Dom said Wally was very likable. "He was like toast."

The first time I saw Dom DeLuise was in guest appearances on TV variety shows. He often performed as Dominick the Great, an inept magician with a turban that kept slipping to one side. He would perform some magic trick (badly) and then hold up his hand, "No applause, please. Saaaaaave it for the end."

It's time to light up the APPLAUSE sign for Dom DeLuise.