Looking good

I bought the complete run of the 50s TV western "The Texan." I saw it when it was first-run 50 years ago. I'm enjoying the DVD set for several reasons.

Theme song. It's suspenseful, which is odd when you think of it.

Actors. Name that dude is always fun. Vaughn Taylor, who was Janet Leigh's boss in "Psycho" and played a lot of hotel characters, bankers and cowardly fellows, was an honest sheriff in the episode "Jail for the Innocents." I never bothered to learn his name until today although I've seen him hundreds of times. (Picture him without the beard.)

Star. Rory Calhoun was Bill Longley, aka The Texan, a drifter who was always on the side of the angels. And the angels were tested in every episode. In the episode we just watched The Texan was defending the right to plant peach trees in cattle country. A funeral ensued. And the trees underwent emergency surgery.

Domino. That black and white steed was one fine specimen of horseflesh. Really a beautiful animal. I looked for a photo on the Web but the only one I saw didn't do Domino justice.

Put Rory Calhoun on Domino and you're looking good.